Eddie Hearn has clarified the possibilities as rumours about whether Chris Eubank Jr. vs. Conor Benn will take place continue.
The fight between Eubank Jr. and Benn was scheduled to take place on Saturday night at the O2 Arena, but last week everything fell apart after it was discovered that “The Destroyer” failed a drug test.
The British Boxing Board of Control [BBoC] subsequently ruled that the fight could not go on because Benn tested positive for the restricted chemical clomifene, which is used to treat female infertility but can raise male testosterone.
With that said, it should be noted that both Benn and Eubank Jr. are eager for the fight to take place, and both promoters are working to make that happen.
The Daily Mail stated that plans to bypass the BBBoC, similar to when David Haye and Derek Chisora fought in 2012 under the aegis of the Luxembourg Boxing Federation, involved three distinct foreign sanctioning bodies.
Promoter Hearn has since refuted these rumours, though.
Let’s see what today brings, but just to be clear, I won’t be promoting this fight with a foreign commission or alternative regulatory body on Saturday night, the Matchroom CEO wrote on Twitter.
A hearing is scheduled on Thursday, and it appears Hearn is hoping to resolve the matter legally by having the BBBoC sanction the fight.
Most read in Boxing
The Mail has also stated that there have been negotiations regarding modifying the fight’s weight limits.
Currently, the battle is set to take place at 157 pounds, which would require Benn to add 10 pounds to his typical welterweight body.
Eubank Jr. had to undergo a big weight loss because he had spent the majority of his campaigning life between 160 and 168 pounds. However, given Benn’s failed drug test, this process might have been a little less difficult.
The concept has already drawn a lot of criticism, so there is still a chance that this fight won’t take place at all.
That includes the statement made by promoter Ben Shalom to talkSPORT, who said: “I’ve seen a lot of things in the last 18 months that have startled me, but I believe this is particularly disturbing…
In any other sport, there wouldn’t even be discussion when a fighter failed a drug test…
The only people who believe this tournament should proceed are the promoters, which shows utter disdain for the sport. Look at the general consensus of public opinion.
OFFER OF THE DAY
Bet10 Get 50 In Free Bets* at Bet365 – CLAIM HERE
Offer to open an account. New customers at bet365 can wager $10 and receive $50 in free bets. Minimum deposit amount. When eligible bets are settled, free bets are paid as bet credits and made available for usage. Exclusions for minimum odds, bets, and payment methods apply. Returns do not include Bet Credits bet. Apply time restrictions and T&Cs 18+ Begambleaware.org