As soon as he learned that his son’s fight with Conor Benn had been postponed, Chris Eubank Sr. appeared to be relieved.
The 56-year-old British boxing hero, who is also Chris Eubank Jr.’s father, learned of the news on Thursday over FaceTime with fellow ex-fighter Spencer Fearon.
Due to worries about the weight, Eubank Sr. had requested that people abstain from the fight at the beginning of the week.
The father was concerned for his son’s safety in reaching the agreed-upon catchweight of 157 pounds and the subsequent hydration clause restriction the next day.
On Wednesday, it was revealed that Benn had tested positive for the illegal drug clomifene.
Despite the promoters’ best efforts, the British Boxing Board of Control’s decision to forbid the bout ultimately presented a significant challenge.
Eddie Hearn, the promoter for Benn, and Kalle Sauerland, the promoter for Eubank Jr., both conceded defeat and postponed the bout on Thursday.
Although Eubank Sr. has not yet responded to this, he has now granted Fearon an interview for The Fight Is Right.
Fearon has only shared one video on his social media platforms, and it merely captures the father’s response to the fight’s cancellation announcement.
Have you heard that your son’s fight has been postponed, Fearon asked?
I don’t really listen to the news, Eubank Sr. said.
Fearon then interrupted and announced: “Sir, it has been cancelled.
Because it was cancelled, it appears that your remarks had some force and weight when you said you wanted the event to be boycotted.
“Well, I’m only speaking what the people – what any father would speak,” said Eubank Sr.
He will undoubtedly feel a great sense of relief now that the conflict has ended.